Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Gift of an Ordinary Day

My mom sent me this video today, and it was absolutely what I needed to see. It's several minutes long but I highly recommend watching it. It's a great reminder for those of us with young children that we need to cherish these ordinary days---the days where nothing special happens besides sandwiches being made, noses being wiped, books being read, clothes being washed---because eventually these needy children of ours grow up and don't want anything to do with us, and then they eventually graduate high school and turn into adults who don't need us anymore.

The ordinary days that Katrina Kenison talks about--the dandelion bouquets, caterpillars in a jar, ice cream cones, lopsided snowmen--sound so sweet and nostalgic, and I really hope those are the things I one day remember about our "ordinary days." For now, I think they're filled more with dirty diapers, spit up on my shoulder, vacuuming the kitchen floor three times a day, telling a child over and over to stop jumping on the couch, sending children to time-out, cleaning poop off the bedspread, breaking up arguments over a favorite toy, wiping noses and tears and bottoms, listening to screaming when somebody doesn't get their way, picking up toy after toy after toy....I could go on, but I'm sure most of you are living the same life so you get the picture!

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did, and I hope it helps put things into perspective like it did for me. I adore my children and although my life is far from glamorous, I wouldn't have it any other way. It won't be like this forever and I need to cherish these ordinary days.

Oh, and get your Kleenex ready! It's a tear-jerker! :)



post signature

8 comments:

Happy 2 Be Me said...

This made me sad thinking about Gabby growing up...Now I see why the Duggers keep having babies! Thanks for sharing, I need to get her book and find time to read.

Andrea said...

Wow! That is awesome! And yes, a tear jerker!! Loved it! Really makes you think! I want to go up right now and snuggle up in bed with my little ones!!

Jessica Ryan said...

Isn't it the best?!!

The Hairstons said...

Makes you definitely treasure the time you have with them while they are little!

Tommy, Erica, Addie Kate, and Andrew said...

Well, I'm not going to watch the video because I feel like I do cherish the ordinary days, almost too much so! I can make myself cry at the drop of a hat, just thinking that one day I'll miss wiping that sweet little behind! Ha! But you are right, we have got to keep perspective and I'm so thankful that you and I and others do!

3gand1b said...

My daughter sent this to me....it is just beautiful...my husband and I are empty nesters now...all four kids grown with kids of their own...I enjoyed my kids so much...thanks for reminding me....

Anna said...

oh my goodness, i'm a mess after watching that! i'm already sad about all my babies leaving for college and they aren't even born yet and taylor's not even a year. i know it will be 2030 before i know it and i'll think how fast time flew by! sad :-(

Juliana said...

loved it!