Monday, February 7, 2011

Menu Monday

Last week was a week of hits---everything was really good!!! Here you go....

Monday: Roasted Portobello Mushroom Sandwiches with Parmesan Mayonnaise (from Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast). These were super-easy to make, delicious, and will join our permanent rotation. I think next time I'll try grilling them because the mushrooms weren't cooked all the way and made the bread pretty soggy, but they were still awesome. They parmesan mayo was awesome and would be great on a hamburger as well!

Tuesday: Turkey Sausage-Gnocchi Soup (from Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast). I couldn't find any hot turkey Italian sausage like the recipe called for, so I used Aidells Italian Style with Mozzarella cheese smoked chicken and turkey sausage (found at Publix) and it worked perfectly in this recipe. So perfectly, in fact, that Ben declared it "the best meal you've ever fixed." I laughed when he said that, because it was so incredibly easy and I didn't agree with him (it was too spicy for me, but it made him happy so I'll make it again). Seriously, y'all, this is really easy, and if you like gnocchi (who doesn't???) and spicy sausage, then you'll LOVE this. And it's healthy! How can you beat that???

Wednesday: We had a busy day and I didn't feel like cooking, so Ben picked up sushi on his way home from work.

Thursday: Melt in Your Mouth Chicken Pie---this is a recipe that I combined from two different recipes several years ago from a church cookbook and is a go-to comfort food on a cold, rainy day. It's not very healthy but we almost always have all the ingredients in the house besides buttermilk, so it's an easy last-minute meal to make. Here you go....

whole chicken
4 eggs
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup self-rising flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 c reserved chicken broth
1/2 tsp pepper
1 stick butter, melted

Cook chicken until tender, save broth. Cut or shred chicken into small pieces and place in 9x13 pan. Boil eggs, dice, and place over chicken in pan. In saucepan, bring to boil the broth and soup. In another bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, buttermilk, and butter. Mix batter. Pour broth mixture over chicken. Spoon batter mix over top. Bake at 425 degrees for 25 to 30 min. (Until breaded topping is light brown). YUM!!!!!

Friday: Oven Chicken Risotto. My friend, Sarah, told me about this recipe when Whitt and I were at her house for a play date Friday morning and it sounded so good that I had to make it that night for my in-laws while we were at their house. Y'all, I can't tell you how EASY of a risotto recipe this is!!! If you like risotto, mozzarella, and basil, then you must make this today! I'm not a huge fan of the pre-roasted chickens from the grocery store, so next time I'll boil my own, but besides that, I won't make any changes. This was deeeeeeeelicious!!!!

Saturday: My MIL made hamburgers. Night off from cooking for me! :)

Sunday: Panko Crusted Salmon (from Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That? cookbook). The only copy of this recipe I could find online is an adaptation of the real recipe (in the cookbook--get the cookbook if you can, it's full of great recipes that aren't available online), and it's actually pretty close to what I did. I also used the zest of the entire lemon instead of just a tsp, and I used olive oil instead of vegetable oil. However, I didn't use canola oil, and I used dried parsley instead of fresh. This is one of our favorite recipes and has become a Sunday night staple for us.

And just because I can't wait another week to tell you about it, I made the BEST BEST BEST chicken pot pie EVER today. I'm serious, y'all. It's from the Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook, and I found a blog that posted the recipe. I think I might dream about it tonight, it was that good. And worth every second it took to make. I even made the crust. I made the crust!! Now stop reading, click on the link, and make a chicken pot pie---then come back and tell me what you think!! :)

No comments: