Thursday, December 20, 2007

Sick baby girl...



We've had some excitement this week in our household---on Monday night I took Emma Claire's temperature before bed and it was 104.4. We immediately called her pediatrician, who said she'd meet us at the ER. Our poor baby spent a couple hours in the ER being poked and prodded, which she of course did NOT like at all. Her heart rate, which should have been in the 130's, was 215 and her white blood count was elevated. They did a chest x-ray, a spinal tap, drew blood, put in a catheter, and tried three times to put in an IV (unsuccessfully). At 2am we were admitted to a room and tried our best to get some sleep while they ran tests on everything. Tuesday morning they tried four more times to put in an IV and finally succeeded on the fourth try. Emma Claire was so dehydrated that it was hard to find a vein that worked...it was pure torture on her AND her worried mama and daddy. We spent the day hanging out while they still tried to figure out what was going on, and Emma Claire got fluids and antibiotics through her IV. We spent another restless night--EC in a big cage-like crib and Ben and I sharing a tiny twin hospital bed---and were finally released yesterday afternoon. The final conclusion was that she just had a bad double ear infection and some type of virus. She's feeling much better and is starting to act like her sweet, happy self again. Not a fun way to spend a few days before Christmas, but we're thankful that it wasn't anything serious. Hopefully 2008 will be a healthier year for our family!


post signature

9 comments:

Andrea said...

I am so glad she is better now. We were worried about the sweetheart. Hope you have a wonderful, healthy Christmas!

Buffie said...

PTL she is okay...poor thing. She must take sickness like a champ...I can't believe she showed now signs until she had a fever!! All woman!!! Kisses to her and I hope you all get some rest tonight!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry to hear about EC, I'm glad to know that she is feeling better. I hate that y'all had to go thru that. Hopefully everyone will be well and y'all can come to Laurens this weekend!
Courtney

Anonymous said...

Awww, poor little thing. She looks so cute (and pitiful) in those pictures. I'm glad y'all are back home and I can't wait to see EC and Grayson for Christmas!

Marie said...

Ohhhhhh -- I hope she is on her way to feeling better and you get some rest too. Poor baby!!!

Michelle said...

I am so happy that EC is home and better. Walker was sick with a fever his first Christmas Eve and it was horrible to be in the er with him.

Michelle said...

Ha, another comment. I think you might like this blog. www.boomama.net

Michelle

Sharon said...

I am SO sorry to hear about Baby Emma Claire. Margaret, I hope y'all are not in the hospital again anytime soon. But, if you ever find yourself here again, and there is anything I can do to make your stay any more comfortable, I'll do it... :)

Lots of love and HEALTHY wishes,
:) Sharon

Suzanne said...

Poor baby, wishing her a quick recovery!